A Guide to Different Types of Signs
When you have a business, one thing that you want, is to make sure that your clients know where they should go. That’s what makes having the right signs so important. Below we’ll explain the different types of signs and what you should know about them.
As far as requirements for ADA signs, there are many things to consider. Below are some of the most important things that you want to think about when it comes to ADA-compliant signs.
- Color – The characters and words must contract highly with the color in the background. It’s best to choose a really dark color and a really light color.
- Font – All of the text has to be in the font known as sans serif. If the room is permanent, the text has to be all capitals.
- Content – Braille is required for signs for permanent rooms and can’t be square, only round. Signs that have pictograms have to be displayed upon a background that is at least 6 inches high.
- Placement – The positioning for signs will vary based on the kind of door. However, it should be found nearest to the place where someone is going to reach or look for opening the door.
Inside Wayfinding Signs
The purpose of these signs is to tell people the way to get from one point to another with very little confusion. There are a few ways that you can make sure that your signs are clear and easy to read for your customers.
- Color Coding – Color is often a lot more memorable than icons or names. Using a color to isolate different areas can help with distinguishing between the various sections or floors of the building or business.
- Picture Themes – Murals that you print digitally and pictograms are a wonderful visual indicator which can help visitors with determining if they’re where they want to be.
- Interchangeable Content – It’s a good idea to have signs that can be changed if you’re working in a place like a hospital where the space’s usage will vary. An example of this would be a lobby directory since people often will come and go.
- Decorative Signs for Your Interior
Decorative, sleek and custom-made signs can help with turning your branding into a creative and stylish design element that will complement your brand and space. Some options that people choose from are:
- Channel Letters (Wall-Mounted) – Although they are inside, these types of signs can be lit up and make an eye-catching addition.
- Flat Letters (Cut-Out) – These letters are usually pin-mounted to your wall, and they can be made from acrylic or aluminum and offer several finishing options.
- Gallery Wall – This can be created using branded content or images for creating a beautiful and unique illustration in a big space. It can be made to tell the story of your brand and your employees.
- Vinyl Appliqués – You can apply digital prints to any flat surface, whether it’s a wall or glass. On walls they can give you a stylish decorative element and often feature branded images. If you put them on glass, they can create a barrier for privacy.
Having the right signs can make a huge difference to your business and your customers. Make sure they’re readable and well-lit, and your customers and employees will be happier because of it.
Questions about Window graphics?
Spectrum Signworks has installed window graphics for a multitude of businesses in Naples, Florida and surrounding areas. If you’re interested in working with our world-class designers on signs for your business, give us a call at 239-908-0505!